Day 9: Sigh.

Can you imagine how perfect it would have been if I skipped Day 9 instead of Day 8?

Because then when people asked me what happened to Day 9, I could say, "oh, seven ate nine."


I need to plan ahead better for these kinds of things, I'm sorry for my lack of proactivity in planning things for the sake of jokes. 

Today I learned the Spanish word for "Dad Joke," at least in Costa Rica. They said it was "chiste de seƱores," or "old man jokes."


I'ma give it to y'all short, since it's late and we're starting super early tomorrow to send our week-long team home. You'll get sentences where I could do paragraphs and it will seem a little underdeveloped. I think Izzy has been posting more lately, if you want something more fleshed out!

Yesterday was Tuesday. We worked at the CDI all day, the kids were rowdy, but it was good. There were some good, loving, investing interactions. And some fun, silly ones. Afterwards, we went to a Bible Study at Casa Flores (where the other gringos live). It was really powerful. There were some good moments, and some funny-to-me moments, and I decided I really respect Trevor, their team leader. Also, I felt really sad at the thought of Alexis leaving and today (Wednesday) starting, even though today seemed like it would be a lot of fun.


Today was Wednesday. We chilled around the house (I slept in and didn't run) then went to H@ngout. H@ngout was a lot of fun. It was the last one for both our 1-week team and for the Ohio gringos. We talked about some deep stuff. Everyone seemed to have great conversations. I got to be part of an amazing conversation with an ateo student and was proud of Evan and Ben for how they navigated it. Though I felt like I talked too much.

It rained (which was awesome) and we hung out under a pavilion. Alexis and I went to hang out with Lagos and Ana Raquel (it was great conversation, I could write a lot about this) and then went on a mini-date and watched a movie together (which was perfect). The other gringos got dinner and went to a dance party with H@ngout and H2O. I hear it was pretty epic. 

I've been dropping the ball a lot so far this year, but I did get the team checked in for their flights and we'll send them home in about 5 hours. I spent some time tonight wrestling with my bank online and trying to keep on top of everything. I am definitely being stretched and humbled this year.

I'm not ready for Alexis to leave. I'm not ready for the CDI English and Bible lessons tomorrow. I feel tired and mildly overwhelmed, but I also feel very confident that God is doing something and very confident in my team here. This is the best possible year for me to be off my game, because this team is and has been amazing.

PRAYERS PLEASE
-for our team to get home safely
-for the CDI to go well, even though we'll be tired
-for the H@ngout students to have a good conversation tomorrow with the H2O gringos
-for our team to adjust to the new dynamic

Dinner with Lagos & Ana Raquel

Mini-date

Comments