Day 10: "and that's why we exist as a team."

I'm pretty independent by nature. It's something that I really like about myself, and one of the top 5 lessons I am grateful I learned from my parents.*

Every strength I have, every strength you have, also has a weakness on the flip side of it. A shadow side, if you want to sound edgy. Strengths and weaknesses are just flip sides of the same coin, and it usually comes down to context. I think any and every weakness, temptation, struggle, whatever...reveals a strength and inclination a person has that has just been warped and twisted or is in the wrong context. And vice versa. "Be careful if you are standing firm, lest you fall" says Paul. Every strength in the wrong context or with a little tweaking and twisting, becomes a weakness. 

So, all that to say: my independence can bite me in the butt sometimes, so I'm very grateful for Teams. I try to push back on my independence by being invested in teams, but that only works sometimes. Some teams I am on, I am not a very good teammate (sorry, The Staff, I am trying to get better). 

Anyway, today was a very team-reliant day for me and for our team. 

We got up in the morning and Matthew, Izzy, and I worshiped together in our apartment. Katie was meeting con Esther, which is exciting to me for both of them. I told the team to be sure to be ready by 12, so we could have time to swing by the AM/PM for supplies and get to the CDI a little before 1. Then Matthew said, "Don't we have a meeting at 12?" So, we left on time, thanks to team. 

Lagos sent us a list of things to get at the AM/PM en route. Trash bags, Deodorizer, Disinfectant, Sponge. Someone said, ".....ooh, and toilet paper, right?" So, the kids at the CDI had toilet paper, thanks to team.

We got to the CDI with plenty of time to get ready and set things up before our meeting. As we were setting up, Izzy said, "SPAGHETTI!" Then, she and I went back to the apartment to get the spaghetti we forgot to bring. So, the CDI kids got food today, thanks to team. 

You get the point, I think. 

We had the meeting with Lagos, Ana Raquel, Georgen, y Doña Maria in the little oficina next to the CDI. The whole meeting was in Spanish. They spent it laying out responsibilities for each of them; who does what and is in charge of what. Lagos navigated this delegation very well; he had broken down tasks based on what people were passionate about and good at. Each of the ladies would nod as he listed their tasks and affirmed each other in theirs. I'm not sure, but it felt to me like such a delineation of tasks might come out of toes being stepped on and previous conflict. Regardless, it was a cool leadership moment and I enjoyed watching their team work so well together. 

After the meeting, we dove into the CDI (kids were already arriving) and got to work. Each member of our team had moments where they shone today. Reychel caring for Axel*, Matthew leading the English lessons, Izzy serving outside of her comfort zone, etc. It was a good day, even if I couldn't remember the schedule exactly. 

All the kids went home and we cleaned up a bit and headed to the grocery store. We found all of our stuff and stuffed it all into our bags (after paying, obvi). Gracias a Dios, Lagos chose today to return my duffel bag, because we needed it to fit everything. 

Katie made pancakes for our team for dinner, which were fantastic. Breakfast for dinner is never a mistake, if you want my opinion. I assume if you're reading this and not just skipping to the prayer requests, you have some interest in my opinions, so I just kinda throw them around. I wonder if my supervisor reads this (what up, Rollin). Hm...I wonder what all I've said now. Oh well. 

Our balance is that one person makes dinner (we'll probs cook meals 3-4 times a week, and eat out once with people and maybe order in food once and eat leftovers once), and one or two other people do dishes. Generally, I have been washing dishes and Izzy has been drying them. Neither of us is much good in the making food department. For my meal this week (whenever that is), I'm gonna try to make some kind of pesto pasta. Maybe it will have chicken if any is left. Maybe it will have some kinda vegetable in it. No se. We will see. So, did some dishes. 

I zoomed with Alexis again today. We're 10 days into 70 and feeling it. I worry that I feel more connected to her with the occasional text and voice message than she feels to me. Maybe it's a love languages thing. Regardless, we tried to play Jackbox games, but those really are meant to be party games, so it didn't quite work out. Then she taught me the very basic rules to Texas Hold 'Em, and we tried to play that online. It also didn't really work out, since I don't know what I'm doing and also the online system was a little wack. But, we laughed a good amount, and flirted at each other, so that was fun and good for us. We probably won't talk beyond messaging for about a week though, so that's lame. 

The next couple of days will be important for our team, says I, since they will be setting up our vibe as a group of four. If you've read my ramblings before, you've probably ascertained that I am more worried than usual about team dynamics this year. That is true. But, this is an astonishingly great team, and I feel confident that God has a plan in how all of this is unfolding. 

Ok, let's deal with those asterisks.

*Principles:
1. Love and Respect and Obedience in relationship with God trumps everything else 
2. Family is always family, even if I don't always prioritize them correctly (or: grace)
3. Marriage is a permanent team, no matter what (or: covenant)
4. I'm responsible for my choices and actions, not anyone else (or: independence/responsibility)
5. How you work at things reflects your character

*Axel es un niño muy interesante. I think he's 4, maybe 5. Today, he sat in a corner and put up his hood and wouldn't talk to anyone. Georgen said he does that sometimes; that he hears voices sometimes and gets into sad or angry moods. Reychel, however, is a safe person to him, and he will come out of it when she is there and gently pulls him out. They are looking for ways to get him the kind of help he needs. I'm going to start praying for him especially. 

Ora, porfa...
-for our equipo to walk in step with the Spirit
-for our new team dynamic
-for Axel
-for yourself, that God will speak to you in a new way this week
-for our long CDI days: Tuesday and Thursday
-for connection with the H@ngout students
-for Alexis and I, if you don't mind stepping outside the Costa Rica part of this blog
-for a fresh move of the Spirit in the church in Costa Rica


Mateo teaching ingles

Comments